When you begin wearing contact lenses there are some very important things that you need to be aware of as far as cleaning and maintenance. In order to make sure that you do not harm your eyes in any way, it is important that you follow the instructions of your doctor as well as the instructions on the cleaning solution that you choose to use. There are huge differences between using peroxide based cleaners and saline cleaners. While they both will remove the proteins and harmful dirt and debris from your lenses you must wait at least 6 six hours after using peroxide solutions in order for them to turn into saline solutions and not burn your eyes. These are some of the little things that you may think are not very important, but trust me you will never want to put your contact in your eyes after soaking them in a peroxide based solution, before cleaning them thoroughly.
Whether you wear contact lenses on a daily, weekly, or even a monthly basis a proper cleaning is something that you will need to make certain you know how to do. For your eyes sake at least. Besides cleaning and proper care, there are a few other additives you need to adhere to when contemplating wearing contact lenses. Here are just a few suggestions for you.
- Make certain you get a proper fitting from an eye doctor and decide with them on a suitable wearing schedule.
- Mash and dry your hands very well before and after you touch your contact lenses.
- Always follow your doctor’s directions on how to care for your contact lenses as there may be different procedures for different types. Always make certain to use the proper solution.
- Store your contact as directed by your eye doctor.
- Make certain to replace your contact lenses every three and six months.
Now that we have gone over some things to do, let me explain some thing; not to do.
- Do not ever wear torn or even scratched contact lenses. By doing this you could seriously damage your cornea.
- Do not ever put your contact lenses in your mouth to moisten them, always and only use contact lens solution.
- Never top off old solution with new solution. Always start off with new solution.
- Never let anyone else wear your contact lenses, this is a gateway for diseases of the eyes to be passed from one person to another.
By reading over this article you would think that it is all pretty much common sense, but these precautions are there for a reason. Mainly to keep you safe while wearing your contact lenses. I always like to remind people that these precautions were made for a reason, sometime and somewhere someone tried something with contact lenses that they should not have. That is the only way the precautions come about. From sheer experience and trial and error. Once you become experienced with the care and maintenance of your contact lenses, you will learn to love and enjoy them as many others do today.